Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Survey Summary

I didn’t have a theme to my survey I just came up with some questions I thought were relevant to a class full of education majors. I started with wanting to know what type of teacher everyone is planning on becoming. I had twenty-six people respond to my survey. Fifty percent are planning on becoming a secondary teacher, forty-two percent are becoming elementary and twelve percent are planning on focusing on special education. I wanted to know what subject the secondary students were planning on teaching, math and English both had four future teachers, social studies has two, and seventeen replied other, and science had zero future teacher from the twenty-six responses. The next portion of my survey had questions about EDM310 class, the first question asked was if they thought they would be able to implement the tools we are learn this semester into our classroom when we start teaching . Sixteen of the twenty-six responded that they thought they would definitely would be able to use the tools, and the other eleven responded that they would able to use the tools maybe…. No one responded with a no, that they would not be able to use the tools we have been taught, so all of them will at least try to use the tools we have been taught. The next item was on the hybrid format of the class. The majority sixty-two percent stated they could take it or leave it, they didn’t love the format, but they didn’t hate it either. Twenty-three percent of the responders hated the hybrid format, and nineteen percent love the hybrid format. The next section was general questions to find out the demographics of the responders. Eighty-one percent were female and nineteen were male and sixty-nine percent were between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, eight percent are between twenty-six and thirty. Twelve percent are between thirty-one and thirty-five, four percent between thirty-six and forty, and eight percent forty-one or older. I asked the responders if they had considered themselves a technology literate person before they began this class, and sixty-nine percent answered that yes the did considered themselves tech literate before EDM310 and thirty-eight responded no they had not considered themselves tech savvy before EDM310. The next questions I asked was if they thought students should be able to take notes in class using their laptop, I let the responders answer this in their own words, most agreed that the student should be allowed to use their laptops in class, but there were a few were concerned that the students wouldn’t use the laptop for note taking. The last thing I wanted to know was when the last time they had read a book for pleasure, not for a class. Most said they read for pleasure regularly, only a few stated that they only read wants required by their classes. Thanks to everyone who took the survey for me. To view the data click here.

2 comments:

  1. Please give me permission to view your data as well as Dr. Strange. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie,
    I hope your survey went well. I didn't really have a theme of questions for my survey either. I see that out of the people that took the survey 50% plan on being secondary teacher. That is interesting. Great post!

    ReplyDelete