Saturday, March 20, 2010

ipods and itunes U



Itunes U and ipods go together so I’ll discuss both of them together. First I don’t have an ipod, but after all the research I ha’ve read concerning their uses in the class room, I think I need one. Dr. Strange wanted us to start with Duke University concerning the use of ipods in the classroom, so I did. I was impressed with the universities willingness to go out on a limb and try something so radical. Duke is not the only university that jump in to the ipod learning movement . Georgia College and State University started similar projects in 2002. GCSU website goes into detail about how the program was started and how it has evolved into an icommunity . The use of the ipods for learning isn’t just for the students at GCSU, a series of podcast for faculty improvement were also made available to the faculty who couldn't make faculty workshops. These podcast can be found on itunes U. Itunes U has gives anyone access to a ton of learning opportunities. Teachers can go to itunes U and find help with any subject. I like teacher TV. This area is divided into subjects, English, math, and science,which I was thrilled to find, since I still looking for ways to use the technology that we are learning to teach science. I just hope that the administrators that I will have to work with will be as open as Robert Craven of the Orange County Department of Education who told Susie Meserve of the Associated Press about his reaction to the ipod “When the original 5 GB version came out I thought it was interesting. Once I got my hands on one, however, I was blown away. I immediately tried to rationalize its use in education, to determine how we could move these into the classroom.” if all educators were that eager to try new methods of teaching all of our schools would be better. When asked how was his schools using the ipods in the class rooms he gave several examples. My favorite was the recording of the first grades reading their weekly fluency passage, the students are supposed to read as many words correctly as they can in 60 seconds. My daughters in the first grade and we practices all week for these test, I would love to hear how she did on the actual test. I think by letting them hear themselves read it would help the pronounce words better.

No comments:

Post a Comment