Sunday, January 31, 2010

January 31st assignmets

Podcast Reviews

When I typed in Smartboard lesson it download a short podcast titled Timmys & A Tip, so I listen to it first. I was not impressed with this podcast. Ben Hazzard, the podcaster, was at a coffee shop waiting to order, while he was doing this podcast. There was a lot of background noise, which was distracting. It was short, and really didn't give very much information. The caster was promoting a website called dimdim.com, which is a web meeting site. I was confused why it would come up under the search for the Smartboard Lesson podcast, until I double clicked the icon for the podcast and it pulled up a list of podcasts. In this list was the Smartboard Lesson podcasts. Mr. Hazzard was one of the hosts of the podcasts. I chose to listen to episode#149, which was titled the " Top 5 Smartboard Misuses. I listen to 18 minutes of this podcast and I never heard any of those misuses mentioned. I have to say that this podcast was much easier to listen to then the first. They did list six different websites for teachers to checkout. Since the podcast's target listeners are teachers wanting to learn how to properly use smartboards, and not the general public I didn't see the need for needless chatter before they even got to the topic.
The next podcast I listened to was Kidcast episode#62. This podcast was comparing audio podcasting and video pocasting. This podcast was easy to listen too, it was clear and gave detailed information. The caster stated that video podcasting, while needed in some cases, requires more production time. I felt like if had listen to the entire podcast I would know what lesson or subject would require a video and which an audio, and what was required to make a successfully video podcast. This was my favorite podcast.
I listen to three different episodes of ConnectLearning, episodes 90,92, and 96. None of these podcast were very clear, there was too much background noise. I honestly think that the background noises were hard to control, since all of this were recorded at conferences or workshops. All of these podcast were in a question and answer format. I think that these podcast are good for getting ideas, or good for people who wanted to see what they missed at the workshop or conferences, but not that informative.
EdTech Talk was a podcast that focused on helping teachers who are teaching online classes. I know I sound like a broken record, but once again I taught there was to much background noise, and open "space" sound. I think the topic of this podcast is an important one,since I think a lot of classes are moving from the classroom to online. I know a middle school teacher that taught her classes online during a two week period during a flu outbreak so the students and teachers wouldn't be at risk. I would hate for K -12 to switch to online classes, because I like they need the social skills we learn during those years, but I can see how It can help during medical or weather problems, just think, if the schools are closed due to bad weather, they just move the class online until the danger passes.
Listening to Macbreak Weekly and This Week in Photography, were very much alike. The photography podcast had more information for the general public, but I didn't like the format. It sound like a couple of buddies getting together and talking about their shared hobby. I didn't like Macbreak at all. The focus was on the ipad, and that was all they talked about. They spent a good 5minutes on the name alone. I think this podcast was for all the apple fans out there, not the general public.
Over all I learned that its hard to make a podcast that doesn't have background noise, since most of them had at least a little bit. I liked a podcast that gets to the point, and gives me the information I'm looking for instead making me listen to chit chat. I hope when I have to do my podcast I'll be able to cut out the background noise and get to the point.

Ms. Cassidy's Class and tech baby videos

The video about Ms. Cassidy's class made me see red! I have a daughter in the first grade, and I can tell you they are not doing anything close to the kids in her class are doing. I let her watch the videos too. She wanted know why she didn't have computers in her classroom. She wants to put her pictures and class work on the computer too. We sat down together and set up a blog page for her and this week as she brings home work I am going to scan it in for her. How are our kids going to compare to other kids across the world once they are grown if they do not get the same level of experience. My daughter is lucky me and my husband can take the time to teacher her everything we know, but what about the parents out there that work two jobs just to pay the bills and buy the necessities. It isn't fair to our kids to not have every learning tool available to them so they can succeed. I wonder how many of our schools here in mobile county have smartboards in every classroom? Is there something as parents we can do to hold the schools accountable for what they aren't teaching our kids? The government doesn't test for technology skills levels, and in this technical world shouldn't they? Consider the baby with the iPhone, if he can master it now, what will he be capable of when he is six, if he is given the chance and the tools.

4 comments:

  1. Jamie, when you do your podcast, you will make a script and PRACTICE! We will record the Podcast in class, so the background noise will be down to a minimum. It is amazing how children so young can use a computer and teach us adults a thing or two. Please proof read for grammar, "Is they something as parents", I believe you meant is "there". Several other sentences did not "flow" right. Otherwise, good job. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think with using podcast, we have to take the good with the bad. It will certainly be important to understand what works and what doesn't work while producing them. I guess we both know that recording in a coffee shop isn't the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post this week. I agree with the background noise issue; it is distracting!A coffee shop to do a podcast? Come On, that's so unorganized!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie,
    like you, I liked listening to the podcasts that were really clear and got to the point. When they chat about useless information I lose interest. When we do our podcasts for class I really want to focus on making mine very clean and with minimal distractions. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete